Too many tweets & too little time? No worries. In this guide, we will show you, a savvy social media pro, how to schedule tweets to save time that could spend engaging your followers.
How to schedule tweets on Twitter
There are 2 ways to schedule tweets on Twitter natively. You could do it via the creatives tab, or the tweet composer at the top right of ads.twitter.com.
- To get started, either click the tweet button at the top right of ads.twitter.com/click the new tweet buttonat the top right of the tweets manager within the creatives tab.
- When the tweet box pops up, craft your tweet—include any location tag, image, or card you want.
- Then choose from the following 3 options to decide how, where, and when you want your tweet to be published:
- Delivery. SelectStandard to deliver your tweet organically (all followers), or select Promoted-only to deliver your tweet to users as part of a promoted tweet plan.
- Promotion. Decide if you want to add your tweet to an existing promoted tweet plan.
- Scheduling. You could choose to Post Nowor select Custom Delivery. With the latter option, you will be asked to select a publishing date and time (up to one year in advance).
How to schedule tweets on Hootsuite
There’re tons of benefits to take advantage of if you schedule your tweets using Hootsuite. From AutoScheduling to bulk scheduling, publishing the tweets from the same platform that you manage all your other social media profiles saves you time & effort. And even free Hootsuite users can schedule up to 30 posts at any time. Here’s how:
- Sign up for Hootsuite. There is a free plan if you would like to start there
- Add your Twitter profile/profiles to your dashboard.
- Create your tweet in the Compose Message
- Choose the Scheduling calendar icon.
- Select the date & time you’d like to post your tweet.
- If you receive an email when your scheduled tweet has been published, check the notification box.
- If you would like to take a look at the other posts that are scheduled for a specific date, choose View Date in Publisher.
- Click Schedule.
How to schedule multiple tweets at once
Want to speed things up even further? You couldbulk schedule up to 350 tweets at once with Hootsuite’sprofessional, team, business, and enterprise plans. This is a great way to build anticipation for one of your business’s special events.
- You need to have the tweets in .csv file format. You can create these files with Google Docs, TextEdit or TextWrangler. Note: Excel files do not work.
- You will need three columns in your .csv file—one for the date & time, one for the message itself, and one where could include a URL if you want to.
- Make sure that smart quotes are disabled if you are using TextEdit and or a Mac keyboard, as they could cause bulk scheduling to fail.
- If you have tweets scheduled before you upload your .csv file, you should check how many you have & subtract that number of tweets in the .csv file you are uploading. For example, if there’re 100 tweets already scheduled, you could bulk upload 250 tweets in the .csv file.
- Choose the Publisher airplane icon from the launch menu.
- Under Content Sources, click on Bulk Message Upload. Select the .csv file you want to upload & click Open.
- Select the date format used in the .csv file.
- Select Twitter& click Submit.
- If the Bulk Composer detects any formatting errors/duplicate tweets, it’ll bring your attention to the issue by displaying a red banner
- To preview a tweet, click the Preview button in the top-right corner.
And that’s it. Your tweets are scheduled & you are free to jump on that plane to take your well-deserved vacation.
How to schedule tweets automatically
You want to seriously cut down the time you spend working out the best times to tweet? Then let Hootsuite’s nifty Autoschedule function do the hard work for you.
Autoschedule works out the optimal tweeting timesdepended on when your previous tweets have performed best. Here is how to do it:
- From the Hootsuite dashboard, choose your Twitter profile from the Social Profile Picker in the top-left corner of the screen.
- Click Compose message& create your tweet.
- Click the Scheduling calendar icon.
- Click the toggle button to turn Autoschedule on& then click Autoschedule.
- To change your settings, click on the Scheduling calendar icon& then click on Autoschedule Settings.
- Select the number of tweets per day that you would like to Autoschedule, along with your preferred posting days & time period.
- Click Save Settings and you’re done!
If you would like to turn Autoschedule off, simply click the Scheduling calendar icon & click the toggle button to Autoschedule off.